Thursday, December 16, 2010

EMERGENCIES ARE NOT PLANNED ACTIVITIES

 Of course, who does not know that!!  However, how many of us are panned to face emergencies when it happens? "Great emergencies and crises show us how much greater our vital resources are than we had supposed." ... William James.  Could not have said better. It is when we pass through emergencies, that we realize how deep our resources are and also who we can rely on. If it were not for emergencies in life one would not know their strength and weaknesses.


It was about 10:00 pm when I got the call from the Executive Director of a RCFE. "Sam, I need a caregiver like 1 hour back. Can you get me one?" To start with I really appreciate the fact that she called me, that shows her confidence in me. Now I am under pressure to perform. Sally's resident needed immediate care and she was on the phone just when I was ready to hit the bed. "Emergencies have always been necessary to progress. It was darkness which produced the lamp. It was fog that produced the compass. It was hunger that drove us to exploration. And it took a depression to teach us the real value of a job"......Victor Hugo.

Necessity is the mother of invention and for that same reason, I decided to make it happen. Within 30 minutes the situation was resolved and everyone was happy. The caregiver was fantastic, they asked us for more services.

Let us get back on track on our discussions. How many of us plan for emergencies? How many of us develop support systems?  I am not talking about just insurance policies her, but the whole idea about planning for tomorrow. When communities develop plan on emergencies, very often the elderly and the disabled are not kept in perspective. I read a very nice article that I want to share here on Disaster Planning on Elderly and Disabled. http://ezinearticles.com/?Disaster-Planning-for-the-Elderly-and-Disabled&id=5212666

Good night every one. Today was a very good day for me and I hope it has been for all of you. I hope you all wake up bright and sparkling to carry through the rest of the day. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment